As a small business, we are always looking for ways to reduce our waste. One way we do this is by using resin and pom pom waste to make new products. We collect the resin waste from our other projects and recycle it into our new waste-free trays. This not only reduces our waste, but it creates a completely unique, one-of-a-kind piece for your home.
In addition to recycling resin waste to make new products, we also do the same with our pom pom offcuts. We take the small pieces of pom pom that are left over from creating our giant pom poms, tinsel earrings or headbands and encapsulate them in resin to create hair clips and earrings or save them till Christmas to create our baubles. This helps us to reduce our waste even further and ensures that all of our materials are used efficiently.
By taking these small steps, we are able to operate as a low-waste business and help to create a more sustainable future. Other practices we implement include:
- Saving all leftover resin, spilt resin, and even the tiniest bits in the bottom of a cup
- Using silicone cups so its easier to save the unused resin
- Reusing our wooden spatulas over and over once the resin has cured
- Using silicone stirrers which are a game changer!
- The resin we use is a by-product of the oil industry. Meaning this material would have usually ended up in landfill if it wasn’t turned into resin.
- Our Pom Pom cuttings are kept aside to fill our baubles at Christmas or to be made into hair clips or trays
- Combining tinsel cuttings from tinsel earrings with resin to create new resin based products, this is actually how we started using resin!
- Utilising our resin waste pieces in new projects like our wavy trays, our terrazzo trays and our hair clips/ earrings
- Taking in material donations like tinsel and yarn where they were either going unused or were destined for the bin.
- Scouring boot sales and charity shops for second-hand materials
So, what can you do as a small business to reduce your waste and be more environmentally friendly? Here are some ideas: Try to use recycled materials whenever possible. If that’s not an option, look for sustainable materials that come from renewable resources. Be mindful of the packaging you use - is there a way to make it recyclable or reusable? And finally, think about how you can reduce the amount of waste produced in your making process.
We hope that this post has inspired you to think about how you can reduce waste in your business. Here at Fat Pom Poms, we are passionate about reducing our environmental impact and helping others do the same. If you’re looking for some low waste home decor and accessories or gift ideas, take a look at our range of products. From resin waste to off cuts, we have something for everyone!